During the final year of my polytechnic journey, I started my internship at DHL working as a logistic assistant. I was assigned to three different stages of a supply chain process which are namely the receiving, packing, and shipping. By having a chance to work in the various departments, it allowed me to gain valuable insights and to visualize the connectivity of the different stages.
There was once when I was working in the receiving department, the goods were delivered late on site due to a miscommunication in the delivery timing. As the nature of the good was a Just-In-Time (JIT) type of product, time was a crucial factor for the whole process. Even with just a little delay in the receiving process, the whole supply chain will be delayed and eventually result in revenue losses.
After this incident, I learnt that having good interpersonal skills are important as it will help me to communicate more effectively with people in our everyday life and hence, the number of miscommunication will be reduced. With this intention in mind, I hope to be able to polish on my interpersonal and writing skills during my learning journey in NUS, so that it will be beneficial for me in my future career.
Hi Huimin! Logistics has always been one of my dream job, but it seems pretty tedious. I am glad that you gained experience from it! There is a good focus on personal experience in the introduction and I was clearly led into the topic. Your reflection is well paragraphed and there is a clear linkage of how it will be beneficial to you.
ReplyDeleteHi Hui Min! It's great that you have learnt something during your internship in DHL. I have always wanted to have an experience working physically in a logistic warehouse instead of just working on those mundane administrative paperwork which I did during my internship. Your reflection was clearly organised with a clear introduction and conclusion, reflecting what you have benefited and learn from your work experience.
ReplyDeleteHi Hui Min, I always thought that Logistics is a very tedious job as it requires a lot of communication. Your reflection is organised in a way where it is very comfortable to read. It has a main point and was further elaborated. I am sure you had a great experiences being attached to DHL.
ReplyDeletehui Min,
ReplyDeletePlease read my comments below:
Content and organization: Your reflective writing is well-structured and the ideas flow coherently from the beginning to the end. Good job.
Language: You need to pay more attention to your writing.
1. You should try to start sentences with a clear subject. ‘There was once’ just delays the topic in the sentence. Any idea how you should fix this?
There was once when I was working in the receiving department,
the whole supply chain will be delayed and eventually result in revenue losses.
2. Read the following sentence again. Can you explain the error ‘it’?
I learnt that having good interpersonal skills are important as it will help me to communicate more effectively with people in our everyday life…
3. Can you improve on the way you connect ideas together?
I learnt that having good interpersonal skills are important as it will help me to communicate more effectively with people in our everyday life and hence, the number of miscommunication will be reduced.
4. Idiomatic expression: ‘polish my’, not ‘polish on my’.
I hope to be able to polish on my
Blogging buddies: I could see you spent time thinking about and commenting on Hui Min's writing. Good job, you made some very good points! Thank you for putting in the effort to share your experiences as well.
ReplyDelete1. One day during my attachment in the receiving department,due to a miscommunication in the delivery timing,the goods were delivered late on site.
ReplyDelete2. & 3. I learnt that having good interpersonal skills are important as these skills would help me to communicate more effectively and reduce the miscoummications with people in our everyday life.